Purpose: To develop accurate visual prediction of position in space
Apparatus: Ceramic magnet (supplied) or any small magnet; small metal objects (paper clips, etc.); several cylinders, two to four inches high, cut from cardboard tubing of various diameters; yardstick and string
1. Tie a three-foot length of string to one end of the yardstick, and the magnet to the other end of the string.
2. Place the tubing cylinder randomly around the child but within reach of the yardstick. Place a small metal object in each cylinder.
3. The child is to hold the yardstick and “fish out” each metal object as discretely as possible (i.e., avoid touching sides of tubing with magnet).
Aspects to be Emphasized:
1. Accuracy in lowering and raising the magnet into the cylinders, in various positions.
2. Have child use right hand, left hand and both hands in performing this activity.