Purpose: To enhance awareness and control of laterality, and spatial awareness.
Material: Full-length mirror
1. Patient is to stand if front of the mirror.
2. He is instructed to make believe that his own reflection in the mirror is a robot or a mechanical man facing him, and under his control.
3. He is to tell the robot what to do. For example, “Raise your right hand,” “Tap your left foot,” “Touch your left ear with your right hand,” etc.
4. Patient must be able to reverse in his own mind his orders to the robot and make the robot’s actions match the commands.
5. When the patient can accomplish this readily, home assistant is to order the robot to perform actions. In this way the patient must be able to reverse, in his mind, orders to the robot initiated by a third party.
Aspects to be emphasized:
1. Ability to control robot adequately when under his own control.
2. Ability to control robot adequately when he must listen to a third party’s orders.