Purpose: To develop awareness of proprioceptive factors involved in eye-hand judgements by using back space.
Materials: Tennis ball or rubber ball of comparable size
Patient is instructed to:
1. With right hand, toss ball over left shoulder from behind.
2. Catch it with the left hand.
3. With left hand, toss ball over right shoulder and catch it with right hand.
Aspects to be emphasized:
1. Be aware of feeling both hands in movement toward each other simultaneously, prior to releasing the ball.
2. Be aware of the visually directed final hand adjustment to catch the ball.
3. Should be relaxed – especially shoulder, elbow, wrist, and fingers.
4. Accuracy in releasing, controlling and catching the ball.