Purpose: To extend ranges of eye-hand localization in the near area.
Materials: Drinking straw, 2 pointers or pick-up sticks, balance board
1. Home assistant is to hold a straw in front of the patient.
2. Patient will have two pick-up sticks or pencils, one in each hand.
3. Patient is to reach out and attempt to pierce the two ends of the straw simultaneously – one end with each hand.
4. Both eyes to be open – use no occluder.
5. Shift straw to different areas of gaze, and repeat.
6. Stand on balance board.
Aspects to be emphasized:
1. Simultaneous accurate piercing of both ends of straw when looking at center of straw, or when quickly looking from one end to the other.
2. Easy balance on balance board.