Peripheral Hand Awareness
Purpose: To stimulate simultaneous peripheral visual awareness
1. Seat the patient comfortably so that he may look straight ahead out a window or at TV.
2. Stand behind him, holding your hands near the sides of his head, so that he can just see them out of the corners of his eyes.
3. With fingers extended and wiggling, move hands in random circular motions. Do not touch his head.
4. Ask child to maintain awareness of the central target (TV, etc.) and both hands.
Aspects to be Emphasized:
1. Ability to maintain steady fixation on target in front.
2. Ability to maintain awareness of both hands, and the central target at the same time.