Listen and Move
PURPOSE: To develop auditory discrimination and recall
1. Give patient several consecutive verbal instructions requiring the performance of specific acts.
2. Give the instructions clearly, and begin with no more than three steps in an instruction. For example: “Walk to the table, pick up the red book and take it to the chair.”
3. Continue to add instructions as the child is able to follow directions in the correct order and with no hesitation or confusion.
4. Reverse the procedure and have the patient give the home assistant several consecutive orders. The patient must be able to monitor the responses to see if the orders were carried out appropriately.
ASPECTS TO BE EMPHASIZED:
1. Make sure that the child does not vocalize while following instructions.
2. If the child has difficulty following the instructions in the order given, ask him to repeat the instructions first, then carry them out.