Purpose: To stimulate central seeing part of an amblyphobic eye.
Materials: paper towel tube, exposed 100 watt frosted bulb, plug flasher
1. Plug lamp into flasher.
2. Completely occlude good eye.
3. Patient is to look at frosted 100 watt bulb through the tube.
4. Start with one minute total exposure.
5. Patient is to look away at opposite wall for afterimage.
6. Allow afterimage to fade before repeating.
Aspects to be emphasized:
1. Steady fixation on flashing light.
2. If unable to see afterimage, dim the room lights until a response is obtained. Try for a response in normal light eventually.
3. Describe the changes observed in the afterimage.